Thursday 10 May 2007

God's Lonely Men: the book to be released August/September

Hello, with a bit of luck my first book will be published in August/September by Headhunter Books. Everything is signed and underway so hopefully it will go to plan. I wrote to Stuart Pearce, the ex England football manager and present mnager/coach of Manchester City the other week. The reason why I did this is because Stuart is a punk rock fan and came to see The Lurkers play, a punk group that I used to be the drummer with, back in the days when Fred Flintstone took Dino for a walk. I met Stuart at a television studio eight or so years back and was surprised how he was still enthusiastic about his music.
Well, my phone rang yesterday and when I answered it there was the voice of Stuart Pearce, he told me that he had read my letter explaining that I had written a book about The Lurkers, being an 'outsider' and of my view of things around punk. Stuart told me that he would read the book and wished me the best of luck; which I told him the same. Pleasant person; it's nice when you bump into people who have a regard for people and things when they have achieved a status that many in the same position wouldn't bother with if it didn't gain them anything. Still, there you have it, best to all out there in 'blogland.'

6 comments:

George said...

Just read the download of God's Lonely Men. Great stuff. Definitely going to buy the book. It will be interesting to see the difference between a musician's memories of the time and a fan's. The first time I saw The Lurkers was supporting The Stranglers at The Nashville and I was completely blown away. I saw the band a lot over the next 9 months then drifted away. Can't remember why. Good luck with the book.

Unknown said...

Hey Pete,

So I finally get to read your scriblings! Shoot me an email, stranger: chris@flagleronline.com

Chris Austin.

Tav said...

Great read, this book is long overdue and can't wait for it to be published. The Lurkers were an absolute revelation as a fifteen year old growing up in a very depressed 70's-80's Swansea, inspiring five of us to form a band and calling it Gods Lonely Men, good times. Keep the faith, and if there is any justice your book will be huge.

Pete Haynes said...

thanks george and tav; I've justgone through the book again, n o changes, just checking spelling and stuff, and it should be out in September. I wrote the book about six years ago; it's not a funster's account living in name-drop city, but rather an outsider's look at things that he came into contact with.
best, pete (Esso)

perry said...

Hi Pete
i am looking forward to reading this.I am trying to think why me and my mates followed you more than any other band at the time:probably as we saw you really early(supporting the Jam at the Nashville)when you had no fans as such.Me ,John Toovey and Stuart Pearce were the only ones pogoing down the front when you supported 999 every week at the red cow for a month...you became "our" band.You and Arthur were also very friendly and talkative(Pete Stride though never said anything).I have many happy memories of seeing you....i preferred the early gigs before all the fights started happening.i think i saw you about 80 times before howard left..all the best...perry richards

Pete Haynes said...

cheers Perry, nice to hear from you, hope all is well, pete